Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hello, and what do you think of the cool gold needles?

I'm new to the KAL (hello!) but have knitted lace before, and I love the book. I am dying to do the Garbo hat, even if I do look silly in hats. The FOs on here look fabulous!
I'm curious to know what people think of the Addi Turbo lace needles, as I am considering getting some, and if I do they will probably be duplicates of Addi Turbo circulars I already own. I have heard such good things about them, though, that I want to check them out. Especially remembering how difficult it was to p5tog when I made the Swallowtail Shawl.
Also, I am interested to hear from people who have knit with AWAT Fino, because it looks lush but is a wee bit on the spendy side, and I already have plenty of laceweight yarn. (But it's oh so tempting...)

-SW

4 comments:

Kristina Plaas said...

I'm glad to hear the lace knitting bug has bit you! The tips on the Addi-Lace needles are a vast improvement over the turbos, but the coated brass surface is not as slick. it's still smoother than knitting with plastic or bamboo needles. but if you're a turbo addict you'll notice the drag. Personally I prefer the KnitPicks circulars which combine the slick surface of the nickel (same as turbos) with the pointy tips that lace knitters adore. The biggest difference is the price, and KnitPicks needles cost a fraction of the Addis.

You also mention the Alpaca with a Twist Fino yarn. I knit the Shetland Tea Shawl from GOL in Fino and it is as soft and luscious as anything I've used, including cashmere! It is a bit more expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion. If you want a good alternative, try the new lace yarn from Elann.com

Good Luck!

kali said...

Hey SW,
I am a reformed addi turbo knitter. I have probably 30 sets of circulars that I use but not for lace anymore! A sister in yarn gave me a set of Options needles for Christmas. WOW!!! They have such sharp points they really can dig into those P3tog, s1k2tog, psso places in lace patterns...oohhh baby they are great! They are inexpensive enough to try one set before you but the whole set, too. She got them at Knit Picks DOT com.
Good Luck, kali

Roz said...

I really like the knitpicks circs, but for lace I like the Addi lace needles. The slight bit of drag keeps me from dropping stitches. borrow one from a knitter friend if you can, and see if you like them.

Stitch-ay Woman said...

I'll have to try both. It's a toss-up if I would hate the drag of the Lace Turbos or like it. I like to knit fast but I also went nuts on the Swallowtail Shawl dropping and reknitting all those P5tog's.